About USC Gould
USC Gould is a top-ranked law school with a 120-year history and reputation for academic excellence. We are located on the beautiful 228-acre USC University Park Campus, just south of downtown Los Angeles.
Learn about our interdisciplinary curriculum, experiential learning opportunities and specialized areas.
Student Quick Links:
USC Gould helps prepare you for a stellar legal career. You can pursue a JD degree, one of our numerous graduate and international offerings, or an online degree or certificate.
Participate in an unparalleled learning experience with diversity of people and thought. Get involved in the law school community and participate in activities that enhance your studies.
Student Quick Links:
We work closely with students, graduates and employers to support successful career goals and outcomes. Our overall placement rate is consistently strong, with 94 percent of our JD class employed within 10 months after graduation.
Our faculty is distinguished for its scholarship, as well as for its commitment to teaching. Our 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio creates an intimate and collegial learning environment.
- Alumni and Giving
USC Gould School of Law
- SUMMER LAW AND ENGLISH (SLE)
- APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- CAMPUS HOUSING
- ONE-YEAR MASTER OF LAWS (LLM) DEGREE
- TWO-YEAR MASTER OF LAWS (LLM) DEGREE
- ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION (ADR) LLM DEGREE
- PRIVACY LAW AND CYBERSECURITY (PLCS) LLM DEGREE
- INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS AND ECONOMIC LAW (IBEL) LLM DEGREE
- ONLINE MASTER OF LAWS DEGREE (LLM)
- CONTACT US
You may apply online for SLE between February 1 and May 15 each year by clicking here. Please email your supplemental application materials (described below) - résumé/CV and TOEFL/IELTS score report - at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SLE's $100 non-refundable application fee can be paid by credit card when submitting the online application.
If you have been admitted to one of USC Gould’s master’s degree programs, your $100 application fee can be waived. Follow the instructions included with your admissions packet. We recommend on waiting to apply to SLE until you receive an admissions decision prior to applying for SLE.
The SLE application deadline is May 15. We recommend applying early to avoid any difficulties in obtaining a F-1 student visa in a timely fashion and meet any COVID-19-related travel requirements.
Admissions decisions are made within two to four weeks after receipt of your application. We accept applications on a rolling basis, as space is available. You will be notified via email. No admissions decisions will be released over the phone.
Financial Support Documents and Passport
Along with your SLE application, you must provide a financial statement that certifies you have sufficient funds ($6,250) to meet your living (housing, meals, etc.) and course expenses while at USC (unless you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, or have been granted political asylum). It must show an additional $1,117 for a spouse and $558 for each child, if they will accompany you.
If you are:
- Self-sponsored: Your financial statement must be a current personal bank statement or letter from your bank, in English with a recent date listed.
- Sponsored by an individual: Your financial statement must include a current letter of support and a bank statement (in English) from your sponsor that specifically states their relationship to you (parent or other relative, friend, etc.).
- Sponsored by an organization: Your financial statement should be a letter on your sponsoring-organization's letterhead, signed by a representative of your sponsoring organization, that states the amount of financial support to be given ($6,250 minimum).
You also must submit a copy of the photo page of your passport.
If you have already applied to one of USC Gould's master’s degree, you are not required to resend financial support documentation or a copy of your passport.
Along with your SLE application, you must submit a brief, current résumé or curriculum vitae (CV). If you have already applied to one of USC Gould's master’s degree programs, you are not required to resend your résumé/CV.
TOEFL or IELTS Score Report
Please submit your TOEFL or IELTS score report if you have one, as it will assist our USC Gould faculty and International Academy instructors in planning your courses.
If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must obtain an F-1 visa to attend SLE. USC will issue participants with I-20 forms, the United States Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, which is required for an F-1 student visa application.
You may not attend SLE on a B1/B2 visitor/tourist visa.
Tuition for the Summer Law and English is $3,900 plus a $300 university fee for a total of $4,200. This is in addition to your $100 SLE application fee.
SLE tuition and fee covers:
- law and legal English instruction
- course materials
- health insurance, immunization screening and treatment
- use of USC Student Health Center with USC faculty physicians
- weekly special activities
- access to campus facilities, including banking, computer, dining, libraries, medical and recreation
- student services, including orientation, workshops, and academic/career counseling
- expedited processing of student visa I-20 form
- express mail of admission documents
If you are admitted to SLE, payment is due by June 1 in order to reserve your space. Payments may only be made by credit card (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express) or personal check/money order in U.S. currency.
All SLE fees are nonrefundable (unless your visa is denied or severely delayed).